In a perfect world our gifts would be gifts of time and charity. There would be no need for fancy presentations because the gift would be relational in nature or it would carry with it the beauty of God's love. However the reality is that we are accustomed to giving and will continue to do so. It's a small way that us imperfect humans show love to one another.
So that being said; what are the small details during the holiday season? One is the way we present our gifts.
- Could we choose to skip gift wrap so that we show our care for the earth and by doing so also make a difference with the money saved? For instance taking the money we spend on gift wrap and donating it to charity.
- Could we choose to wrap our gifts with recycled items (ie. paper bags, newspapers, old maps)? Then once again we would be saving money and helping the enviroment?
- Could we make the wrap a part of the present? Such as wrapping gifts in dishtowels or washclothes.
- Could we choose to buy recycled gift wrap?
- Could we choose to buy cheaper gift wrap and donate the difference to charity?