Monday, December 6, 2010

The real deal...

Proverbs 16:2 NLT "People may be pure in their own eyes, but the Lord examines their motives.";
Jeremiah 17:9 ESV "The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately sick; who can understand it?"

These words, "The real deal", have been tossed around a lot in the past few weeks. A few times spoken in kindness as a reference to me, but something about it bothers me. Perhaps its that I'm fearful that something so innocent as a kind word might become the very thought that inflates my ego and makes me anything but real. Im afraid of becoming like so many before me who got caught up in all the hype. Maybe today my heart is pure, but tomorrow I could be laid to waste because my need for approval becomes more than my need for Jesus. I might believe it so deeply that I miss it when God trys to show me some hidden fault.

Then again maybe Im afraid Im not the real deal and that I have just done a very good job of convincing myself and others otherwise. Afterall the bible says that the heart is deceitful above all things and that all a man's ways seem innocent to him. One day I might come before my God and find that I had motives that I was unaware of.

Truth be told most days when I stand before my Jesus and in the light of his love and goodness I am made humbly aware of that I am far from being the real deal. What poses as real in me is nothing more than a faint image of who Jesus is..... the Living Christ, our redeemer, Immanuel,......

The Real Deal!!

Take it deeper....
  • Take an inventory of yourself (what you've done, what you do, what you give, your hopes, your dreams) and bring it before the one that weighs the motives of man.
  • Be aware that because of the nature of sin we often have motives that we might not be aware of. Be careful to not think more highly of yourself than you ought. (Romans 12:3)
  • Put your confidence in God alone. (Proverbs 3:26) Making sure that you do not count on your gifts, talents or good deeds as a means for salvation.

No comments: